Sunday, March 12, 2006

Songs that Still My Soul

The words to some precious old hymns appear on this post, "Words That Shake My Soul". I like to think along the lines of calming, and quieting my soul, rather than shaking my soul. Hebrews 12 talks about an "Unshakable Kingdom", but only after the author urges entering into rest. Hebrews 6:19(NIV) says, "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

I believe we are in a time when all things that can be shaken will be shaken. But there is rest for our souls, if we have HOPE in Christ.

The Hymn-writers knew that kind of hope. "It Is Well With My Soul - Be Still My Soul - I've Anchored My Soul (Haven of Rest), etc., etc.." It was that kind of hope that made the musicians play "Near to the Heart of God" as the Titanic was sinking.

To whom or what would your soul cling, if you were surrounded by such tragedy and chaos, as the recent ferry-boat sinking, the 9-11 explosions, or the Katrina flooding?

"Seek the LORD while He may be found; call on Him while He is near." Isaiah 55:6

Hebrews 12:25-29 (The Message)

25So don't turn a deaf ear to these gracious words. If those who ignored earthly warnings didn't get away with it, what will happen to us if we turn our backs on heavenly warnings? 26His voice that time shook the earth to its foundations; this time--he's told us this quite plainly--he'll also rock the heavens: "One last shaking, from top to bottom, stem to stern." 27The phrase "one last shaking" means a thorough housecleaning, getting rid of all the historical and religious junk so that the unshakable essentials stand clear and uncluttered. 28Do you see what we've got? An unshakable kingdom!

Thanks be to God!



The Message (MSG)

Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

The Message at Navpress NavPress

No comments:

Post a Comment